Iran–US Nuclear Talks Resume with Cautious Optimism in Oman: Breakthrough or Brinkmanship?

Date:

In a notable diplomatic shift, Iran and the United States concluded a round of indirect nuclear negotiations in Muscat, Oman, on Saturday, signaling the most significant high-level contact between the two nations since 2018. Both sides described the discussions as “constructive,” and agreed to resume talks on April 19 in pursuit of a general framework for a broader agreement.
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi and US Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff engaged in a two-and-a-half-hour dialogue, focusing primarily on sanctions relief and Tehran’s nuclear program. Although talks were mediated through Omani officials, brief face-to-face interaction occurred between the delegation leaders in the presence of Oman’s Foreign Minister, highlighting a cautiously warming diplomatic tone.
“This first round was calm, respectful, and productive,” said Araghchi, expressing hope that the next round would transition into more substantive discussions with an actionable timeline.
While experts view this as a symbolic breakthrough, they remain skeptical of short-term results. Wang Jin, associate professor at Northwest University’s Institute of Middle Eastern Studies, warned that a deep-rooted lack of political trust and stark policy divergences still pose major obstacles. “Both sides blame each other for the current impasse. Without a fundamental shift in perception, progress will be slow and fragile,” he said.
The Muscat dialogue marks the first such engagement since the Trump administration withdrew the US from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in 2018. Since then, diplomatic channels have remained limited, often relying on third-party mediation.
Adding to the tension, former President Donald Trump issued a stark warning last week, declaring that military action remains on the table should Iran refuse to abandon its nuclear ambitions. “If it requires military, we’re going to have military. Israel will obviously be very much involved in that,” he said during a Fox News appearance, reigniting concerns over regional conflict escalation.
Meanwhile, China has urged all parties to seek a peaceful resolution. Lin Jian, spokesperson for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, emphasized the importance of diplomacy over confrontation. “The US, having unilaterally withdrawn from the nuclear deal, must now demonstrate political sincerity, engage respectfully, and refrain from threats and pressure,” Lin said during a press briefing on April 8.
While the April 19 follow-up talks may pave the way for a potential roadmap, analysts caution that any substantial agreement will require prolonged negotiation, significant trust-building, and international cooperation. Whether this is the start of real progress or just another chapter in a long diplomatic deadlock remains to be seen.

Related articles

Israeli President Herzog Rejects Political Timeline for Netanyahu Pardon Despite Trump Criticism

Israeli President Isaac Herzog has rejected pressure to follow a political timeline for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's pardon...

Zelensky Says US Proposes Florida Peace Conference as June Timeline Becomes Reality

The United States has proposed hosting Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Miami next week and set a June deadline...

Greenland PM Reaffirms to Parliament: US Arctic Territory Control Agenda Persists

Greenland's political leader has issued clear assessment that American ambitions toward the Arctic territory continue despite recent diplomatic...

Trump’s Cryptic Iran Message Escalates: “Can’t Tell You” Plans, Ships En Route

Donald Trump has issued an ominous but cryptic warning about potential military action against Iran, refusing to reveal...